If yo aren’t already, go read Bruce Sterling’s annual new years future cast, State of the World 2012. A taste:
FUTURE CHANGE AS SEEN BY THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
1. Continue trend of seize the planet’s physical means of production
by underpricing everyone else, and enduring the pollution and harsh
labor conditions. To back off now after such grand, demonstrable
success would be stupid.
2. Engineer new Chinese material infrastructures of all kinds;
highways, power grids, urban real estate, moon shots, supercomputers,
genetics labs, chip fabs, fab labs, you name it. Offer to build some
for client states, too.
3. Reverse annoying trends in “international law,” because that’s
actually Western hegemony.
4. Accelerate collapse of “intellectual property” because it’s
actually rentier feudalism.
5. Defeat “international finance” because it’s crazy, it doesn’t work,
and it deprives state regimes of command over their economies.
As always, thoughtful and fun read. And it’s going on all week!